What an absolutely crazy day it has been today, in fact the last week!
Some of you may be aware that we decided to develop the land that sited what we called our ‘crow pens’. Named due to the many years these large aviaries housed Cyril the Rook and Joe the Crow. After both of them went to live with a friend of the charity who keeps Corvids, in even bigger aviaries that you can imagine no less, we decided a redesign was in order.
This is where our friend Rob comes in, knowledgeable as they come; he is our project manager and keeps us on the right track. So for the last week Rob and I, with the help of any willing volunteers, have been clearing this area and under Rob’s guidance prepared it for the first stage: solid concrete base.
With the site ready to go, we had 6m of concrete delivered this morning. With Rob and his partner in crime Steve, it was spread and leveled in no time. To call these two dynamos would be an utter understatement; they’d give the Duracell bunny a run for his money!
Not 5 minutes after finishing up and having a tea break there was a mad dash to get it all under cover as the rain started up; never a dull moment!
The next step is to get the rest of the area leveled and concreted. The eventual plan being to have a large metal shelter put up within which we can create sturdy and safe aviaries for wild birds that need a place to recuperate before being released; ideal for the owls, pheasants and seagulls etc that are brought to us.
As always a big thank you to our donators without which development work like this wouldn’t be possible, and a huge thank you to Rob and Steve for their invaluable help.